BOSS paints in figures
- 1head office of BOSS paints in Waregem, Belgium
- 60colora shops
- 3million litres of paint per year
- 1945year in which BOSS paints was founded
- 5BOSS paints depots for the professional painter (and 60 colora collection points)
- 59million in annual turnover
- 7000m² of solar panels
A family business with a history
Late 19th century
Angelus Bossuyt was a coachbuilder. His son Cyriel painted the coaches; later he became a self-employed painter and opened a shop with his wife.
Antoon Bossuyt launched his own company ABW (Antoon Bossuyt Waregem), producing paint for other painters.
The first Bolatex paint was produced; the first varnish and primer followed later. From now on, the company was popularly known as Bolatex ABW.
The first change of generation. After Antoon Bossuyt’s death the second generation – Jan, Piet and Paul Bossuyt – took over the helm.
Bolatex ABW became BOSS paints. The name BOSS paints was introduced.
BOSS paints opened its first colora shop in Bruges. This was the foundation for the later success of the chain.
BOSS paints introduced the “colormix”, a colour mix system which could offer a much larger range of colours.
The third generation of the Bossuyt family (Ward, Toon, Lieve, Koen and Ivo Bossuyt) started working for the company.
The colora shop formula was completely overhauled, with a new logo and a totally new retail interior. The beginning of spectacular growth.
Jan Bossuyt handed over the reins of the flourishing business to Toon Bossuyt.
The revolutionary MY-MX colour mix system was unveiled and set a new standard for colour accuracy.
BOSS paints launched the colour and wallpaper concept ‘we are colour’.
colora opened its 60th shop in Bree.
Our external partners
Every day we shape the values that we, as BOSS paints, are committed to. Our business operations are rooted in a deep appreciation for people and the environment. We are convinced that this is the key to sustainable business practices. We are also happy to spread this message and so we have joined forces with four structural partners:
Bond zonder naam
BOSS paints supports Bond Zonder Naam:
- because we are committed to tackling poverty.
- because we believe that everyone should be given equal opportunities.
- because creating connection is important to overcome loneliness in our society.
- because we believe in intercultural dialogue.
BOSS paints supports Natuurpunt:
- because we are keen to invest in the purchase and solid management of nature reserves.
- because we want to back nature studies and environmental research.
- because we want to give them the strength to keep influencing environmental policy.
- because we have a duty to protect the environment for subsequent generations.
BOSS paints supports Victor:
- because we believe that support for raising people with autism is a fundamental right.
- because care in a trusted home environment is invaluable to them.
- because we want to work with Victor to give autism a place in society.
- because we want to create a team so that, together, we can conquer the barriers of autism.
BOSS paints support Youca:
- because we want to support young people in their active engagement.
- because sustainability, solidarity and justice are core values for us.
- because we believe that project work shapes you positively as a person.
- because, together with Youca, we believe in the power of young people worldwide.
In 2001, BOSS set up an Advisory Board, originally with the main aim of effectively supporting the succession of management from the second to the third generation. That change of generation is now well behind us and the desired focus of the Advisory Board has shifted towards, among other things, advising and challenging the Executive Committee on policy and strategy; monitoring operating results and audit function at a financial level; and ensuring reliable, clear reporting to the shareholders. In addition, the Advisory Board also has several HRM duties: recruitment, dismissal, evaluation and remuneration of both the Management Board and family members who work for BOSS.
The present Advisory Board at BOSS includes two family board members: Jan Bossuyt (former Managing Director) and Toon Bossuyt (current Managing Director) as well as three external, non-family board members: Mark Vandecruys (owner and Executive Chairman of Fedrus International and Koiba nv), Hilde Haems (Chief HR Officer of SD Worx) and Dirk Depoorter (Managing Director of Spar). Hilde Haems is Chair of the Advisory Board.